Post by Blog Manager Robbi Hess
While I realize I typically blog about social media and blogging, having just adopted a new kitten has changed my focus this week -- partially because it's hard to concentrate or type with a kitten swiping at the keyboard, clawing my chair or otherwise begging for attention. We have always had cats in the house but Lucy is the first kitten we have had that greets us at the door and with a "wagging tail." I'd never seen a kitty wag her tail unti Lucy came along and it got me to wondering what other cat info I don't know.
- Cats sleep almost two-thirds of every day. This means that a nine-year-old cat will have been away for only three years of its life!
- Cats keep their head level when chasing prey. Humans and dogs' heads bob up and down when in pursuit of prey.
- It's gross, but all cat owners deal with this so you can impress your cat-loving friends with this tidbit: The technical term for a cat’s hairball is a “bezoar.”
- Is your kitty a southpaw? If it's male, then probably yes! Female cats are more likely to be right-pawed. In humans, 90% of the population is right handed and those remaining 10% of left-handed humans are male.
- Did you know that your kitty's brain more closely resembles a human's brain than a dogs does? The region of the brain responsible for emotion are the same in humans as it is in for cats.
- There are more cat lovers/owners in North America than there are dog owners/lovers. Cats account for close to 75 million of the pets while dogs come in at about 65 million.
- Much like Superman, cats can jump up to five times their own height in a single bound.
- Cats were so revered in ancient Egypt that when one died, the family members would mourn by shaving off their eyebrows. Elaborate funeral were also held and the cat was eventually enbalmed with a sculpted wooden mask and the tiny mummy was placed in the family tomb or in a pet cemetery with tiny mummies of mice
To read more interesting cat facts, check out this site.